Sash Window Renovation & Repairs
1. Any decaying timber is routed out to expose the 'sound' timber
2. The exposed timber is then treated
3. Market leading epoxy resin is used to fill the cavities in the timber
4. The epoxy resin is moulded to match the existing profile of the timber
5. The epoxy resin is finished to match the existing profile of the timber
6. The window frame is then painted
Repair & Renovation of Sash Windows
Many of the original sliding sash windows in the UK are over 100 years old, with some dating back to the 1800s. Their elegant proportions and charming aesthetic appeal are a familiar part of the UK's building heritage and architectural landscape.
Traditional windows are essential features of a period building's character, and it's our responsibility to retain them for posterity, aesthetics and to retain and add value to the property.
ERW's repair and renovation division makes problems associated with older timber windows like draughts, rattles and operational issues a thing of the past. We help you renovate and repair rather than replace, so you keep the original charm and character whilst also benefiting from modern developments providing performance and energy efficiency enhancements. Whatever the condition of your sash windows, we can repair and upgrade them.
Refurbishment is an environmentally friendly option too. Recent research from English Heritage shows that the thermal performance of a traditional 1880s sash window (rescued from a skip) can enjoy significant reductions in draughts and heat loss after undergoing even the most basic repairs.*
We have particular experience of working in listed buildings and within conservation areas
We are specialists in timber window renovation and secondary glazing. Our services are as varied as our customers' needs:
- Repair and refurbish of sashes and boxes
- Replace individual sashes to the original design
- Replace damaged glass
- Renew non-repairable joinery like cills
- Renew cords, rebalance sashes and service pulleys to ensure smooth operation
- Overhaul / replace the architectural hardware
- Install security hardware
- Draught proofing and secondary glazing
- Upgrade thermal and security performance
Where necessary we offer full replacement with new double glazed units - all of which we manufacture in- house made to measure - to fit into your existing box sash frames.